1. I can lick my elbow
2. I can sail
3. I am going to Sacramento in October for AmeriCorps NCCC
Any guesses?
(photo: Memorial Union Terrace)

Okay, you got me. I can't lick my elbow. Now that I've gotten that game out of my system, I'll explain the rest. I'm currently enjoying my summer in Madison, WI, sailing on Lake Mendota and seeing more concerts than one can imagine. I live for music- I live just a hop, skip, and a jump away from Madison's finest outdoor music venue, the Memorial Union Terrace (If you've never seen a show, read a book, had a beer or an ice cream cone there, you really ought to). I also work with True Endeavors, a music booking agency in Madison, helping to promote local shows. When I'm not immersing myself in music and the city of Madison in general, I'm probably riding my bike, learning new tunes on the uke or reading all sorts of NCCC blogs and getting really really excited about my upcoming adventures. For those unfamiliar with NCCC (National Civilian Community Corps), it is a team-based national service program run through AmeriCorps. In October, I will fly out to Sacramento, CA and meet hundreds of strangers. We will all go through a month of training- from physical training to team building to disaster relief training... the list goes on. After that first month, we will be split into teams, each one with 10-12 corps members and a team leader. From then on, I will be living, eating, and breathing with this team. We will be sent out on "spikes"- 6-8 week service trips to different parts of our region (which I believe is AZ through WA) and also to the Gulf Coast. Rumor has it 60% of corps members must be in the Gulf at all times, so I'd imagine we'll have at least a couple of spikes there. We address education, public safety, the environment, and unmet human needs (disaster relief, housing, etc). I'm looking forward to an exciting ten months!

And as for the "steel-toed boots" title, every NCCC member is issued a pair of black leather, steel-toed boots (among other things) <3

2 comments:
2 truths and a lie: I'm going to guess that number 3 is a lie. Actually I know it is :( sorry, but I said to say it!
I'm putting your blog onto my blog's list, if that's ok with you!
you caught me.
and yes, add away. i can't promise anything too exciting, though!
Post a Comment